I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Thursday, May 22, 2014



I made the big move!

I sold my condo and moved into a retirement home. I wrote about this already, but not since I've been here actually trying to get myself together! Things aren't like they were at my condo which I really loved but was becoming too much for me what with having to go out for the mail, garbage, car not in a garage but parked under trees that kept dropping pitch on it. All in all, it was time for something different. And this is different! The meals are served in a lovely dining room and are delicious. But you have a certain monthly allotment which you don't want to reach as then you'll be charged for any overage. How rude! So I eat most of my meals in my room but do get a sandwich now and then in the little cafe here. I go down for dinner when there's something special like chicken fried steak. I'm probably the only person who thinks that's special! One night I had lemon meringue pie and it was just out of this world good! The other night they had it again so I went down and got the pie and brought it back to my room. I had to cut the crust with a knife and fork! Is that cruel and unusual punishment or what? Maybe it was left over from the week before. 

The people here are all very friendly and speak to me even though I think I'm the only one who wears jeans all the time. I really miss not being able to step out of my door into the fresh air and see what's going on outside. My windows face west so my blinds have to be partially closed all the time. I suppose in time I'll become used to everything here, but I still haven't found my way around the entire place.

One thing I really like here is that I'm doing physical therapy twice a week with two other women. I also work on machines to increase my arm strength - I do that every day by myself. The PT teacher is Kate who is a cute, slim young woman and obviously knows what she's doing. She's working on balance of which I'm completely devoid. She knows I have Ataxia and these exercises are very good for me. I know I'll never be all right, but if I can just keep moving and maybe put off what is eventually going to happen with me, it's worth it. I wouldn't be doing any of this if it weren't for Kate. She's so easy to talk to and knows what we all need. She has classes for many of the people and no one is physically fit. We wouldn't be here if we were physically fit. So, Kate, please don't run off with someone or find a job where the people are already in good shape. That wouldn't be nearly as much fun for you and certainly not for me.

What I miss the most here is Larry, the little sparrow I fed on my deck for almost 6 years. He was there a lot of the time, sometimes just sitting on the ledge - sort of hanging out with me as I was sitting on the couch inside watching him and he would be watching me. I left abruptly and no one is feeding him. It makes me cry to look at this picture, but I'm sure he'll get along fine. After all, he's a wild animal and must know how to forage. I just had to put one last picture of Larry on my blog. I've put many others through the years but I guess this is the end.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home