I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Monday, March 24, 2014



What I did on my Short Hiatus

I have just completed a move to a retirement center. I would call it several weeks of hell! I had to get my condo ready to move out by myself. So stumbling around with a cane because of inability to walk like an average person made things extremely difficult for me. I didn't want to fall and had many close calls. My son-in-law came out for a week and saw my new destination, and from that he laid out on paper just what would fit where. I must say his measurements were perfect. So when the day came, everything did fit in except for one book shelf which I got rid of.

Cindy, my younger daughter, came for three days before the move and slept on the floor for three nights. The next day the actual move took place and we came to my new place. Teri flew in that after noon and took over for Cindy. I could never have pulled this off without my daughters who were and are wonderful!

Mentally I wasn't ready for a retirement home, but physically I probably am. When I first walked in, I saw all these people with walkers and canes and wondered what the hell I was doing there. But then I stumbled over my own cane and settled down to reality. I can't get over the fact that so many people use canes and walkers. But that is why there are places like this. All I can think is why is this happening to me? But I am adjusting and everyone is so welcoming. They have so many activities going on all the time which I have no intention of joining. I came here to retire and watch Law & Order all day long if I want. I don't play bridge and have my own exercise bike, so I feel I've covered all the bases. I have my own car so can come and go as I please. At night they lock the outside doors and I have a special card to get in. My daughters went out one night and came home about 12:30am. They were locked out and sat on the sidewalk thinking they were going to have to call their mother to let them in! How embarrassing for them! But Cindy waved her arms around and a workman inside saw and took pity on them and  let them in.

Yesterday I was cleaning out some of my desk which I will be doing for the next 5 years, and found an envelope entitled "Crazy Things." I think I've written about this before, but I found two things I'll end with which I found very amusing. 

The first one:

   Do you know how the Amish hunt? They sneak up on a deer and build
   a barn around it.

The second one:

   A quote from Don Johnson made years ago. He says: "I think I have finally
   found someone who understands me, who knows my weaknesses and limits and 
   can really improve my life." He is speaking about the girl he planned to marry who
   was 29 years his junior. Never happened. I thought it was so funny!

So I'll just put Crazy Things back in the desk and probably use it again. Now I'm going shopping with a girlfriend for some new jeans. I don't see many jeans around here, but that's going to change right away!
  
'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home