I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Friday, May 20, 2011

“Catios”

There was an article in “The Oregonian” newspaper the other day that caught my attention. It concerned “catios.” These are enclosed spaces outside that are attached to a home that allow cats to experience the outdoors without incurring any risks. You can purchase them online or make it a do-it-yourself project, whichever you choose. Some people never let their cat outside, so this would be a way to let your pet have a little fresh air from time to time. The article shows one family that has one going around the outside of their house, part of it a little uphill which gives the cat some exercise. These people have four cats so the catio is probably in use all the time. My daughter, Teri, has four cats but she lives in a big building in Brooklyn. She’d probably have to appear before the Home Owner’s Association board of directors and appeal her case, and you know how stuffy and pretentious those people can be sometimes. Remember what happened to George Costanza on the Seinfeld show when he went before his HOA board of directors and was dismissed by them? But it’s something she could consider. Her cats have never been outside and one is about 100 years old, so a catio might be too much of a shock for that one.

What really interested me was the fact that two of the cats belonging to the people in the article suffer from cerebellar hypoplasia, a condition that impairs balance and coordination. From time to time, I have a little problem with balance. Do you suppose I could have cerebellar hypoplasia? The cats in the article that have cerebellar hypoplasia got it after their mother was exposed to feline distemper. I’m wondering if my mom could have had distemper at some time and passed it along to me. If Cindy reads this she’ll be thinking she’ll get it as she always thinks I give her what I have. Catios give the cats a chance for fresh air and exercise, and that’s what I need. And if it’s on the ground, the cats can chase bugs and rodents and have a great old time. If I had my own catio, I would use it for exercise and sunning myself, but I wouldn’t spend much time hunting for bugs and rodents. We have a bug man who comes occasionally – he was here today – who takes care of those things. I don’t have a cat and don’t plan on having one, but the catio sounds pretty good to me. Marla McGeorge of The Cat Doctor in Southwest Portland says as a result of the cats being outside in the fresh air “They’re happier and have fewer behavior problems.” I like the sound of that. Some times I don’t behave too well.

As a result or that article, two of my friends are having one of their friends build them a catio for their two cats. I think this idea may spread all over the country! I’ll just bet if you had a catio attached to your home, it would be a big selling point when you decided to move. Who wouldn’t love their own, ready-made catio along with their new house?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home