I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Saturday, September 05, 2009

I think I’ll stop reading the newspaper

Today I was reading my daily paper, and the news was so glum – horrible things happening in Afghanistan and Iraq, the health care business is not moving along as quickly as it should, a girl is kidnapped and found years later and the media is being worked into a frenzy over it. I know we all like to hear the news, but sometimes it gets to be a little much. Everyone is interviewed over and over again on television. How can they do that and why do we watch? Michael Jackson was finally buried, but that’s not the end of it. That will go on and on for years and there will be many specials on television about him and his brothers. I say, who cares?

So this morning I read my paper and looked for something to make me laugh. I first read an article about something that happened in Jericho, Arkansas, population 184. That tiny town is notorious for its speed traps and speeding tickets handed out. That’s all the cops do there as there isn’t too much crime with population 184. So when the fire chief was hauled into court twice in one day for tickets, he told the judge what he thought of the whole business. And then the cops shot him – right there in the court room! He’s alive in the hospital, and I think there is a change in Jericho in the way they do business now.

And in Montana, a police officer resigned because he had written on his Facebook page that there should be a law allowing the police to put people in jail for being stupid. I can’t really see anything wrong with that, but I guess he thought it was in the best interest of the police department or so the City Manager said. So I guess stupid people in Montana have nothing to worry about.

Not so for stinky people in Honolulu. The City Council there had considered making it illegal for stinky people to use their transit system. I think that would have been a great law and should be mandatory everywhere. But it didn’t pass. When I was waiting to board a plane in New York, there was a man waiting behind me who smelled worse than anyone I’ve ever smelled. I was scared he was going to get on my plane, but he didn’t. Why couldn’t there be a “smell” test for people before they enter public transportation. It couldn’t be nearly as bad as going through all that security they do in airports.

Now that’s the kind of news that makes me smile – and I like when that happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home