I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Amish heaters and Toast

Last Sunday, there was another ad in the Sunday “Parade” magazine about the HEAT SURGE Roll-n-Glow Fireplace Amish heaters. When the ad was in before, Cindy ordered one, and she loves it. She can roll it from room to room and it sends out heat while looking like a fireplace, which it isn’t. It supposedly uses about the same energy as a coffee maker which appealed to me. My electric bill is extremely high now, and next year my electric company is trying for another rate increase. They do this every year which really pisses me off. I don’t know the reason for it even though I’ve called many times and complained. They’re always very nice and say . . . blah, blah, blah . . . after which they thank me for paying my bill so promptly. If I didn’t pay my bill, they’d cut me off, so that’s why I pay it. Do they think I’m stupid? I guess so. Anyway, I’m hoping my Amish heater will help in one of my rooms so I can turn the heat down. Cindy told me I might have to wait when I call as she waited a long time for an answer. But when I called, they answered immediately and I made the transaction. I told Cindy, and she said, “Maybe I ordered when the Amish were just learning how to operate a telephone.” That makes sense. In the ad, there’s a picture of two people in a horse and buggy which is carrying Amish heaters. I’m wondering if mine is coming that way. This should be very interesting. I hope the horse doesn’t poop on the sidewalk in front of my condo. And how will he navigate in all the traffic? Not my problem.

After my Amish heater transaction, I went to Toast which is a favorite, neighborhood bistro to many in southeast Portland. I met my friend, Jeanie, there and we settled in for a wonderful meal. I had been there before, but it was Jeanie’s first time. I ordered the Marty’s All Day Burger which is self-explanatory. It was delicious and rare, just like I like it, and I brought half home for dinner that night. Jeanie studied the menu carefully and finally decided on Take The Leap which is seared pork belly, two eggs over easy with a potato rosti and a roasted garlic emulsion with crispy shallots! I’d never heard of seared pork belly before or potato rosti and garlic emulsion. I cook very simply since I’m the only one eating what I cook which is good for those who don’t have to eat my cooking. I love potatoes and garlic, but that’s what I call them – no fancy names. Anyway, I could hardly wait to see what the seared pork belly was. When it arrived, it looked like a huge piece of bacon, but a very, very thick piece. I tried a little of it and thought it was about the best thing I’d ever tasted! It was so soft you could cut it with a fork. I absolutely loved it, but it wasn’t mine, so Jeanie ate it and everything else on her plate. In fact, she cleaned the plate up so well that there wasn’t a trace of anything left. It wasn’t even worth licking it. When she was all through, she said “I think I may throw up!” Now that was a real compliment. I say almost the same thing when I’m full and really like what I’ve just eaten – I say “I’m sick.” Same thing. So we both rolled out of there feeling very full and satisfied. I just love Toast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home