I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Tuesday, March 04, 2008


Alice

No, this wasn’t a case of made cow disease. This was just Alice, our mad cow. I was young and still at home on the farm when this picture was taken. Alice never liked being told where to go, and this time she needed some persuasion . . . like dragging her. It was probably milking time.

Alice didn’t like me, and I couldn’t understand why. I thought everyone liked me . . . what was there not to like? But at least that way, I never had to milk her. But I drank plenty of fresh, warm milk every morning. These days I imagine that’s against the law, but I was young and foolish and drank the unpasteurized milk. I also ate the butter my mom made from the cream, and it was wonderful! But then someone discovered cholesterol and spoiled things for everyone. Sometimes progress is a real bummer.

I remember standing in the kitchen, watching my mom skim the cream off of the milk after it had risen to the top. She’d put it in a big bowl and then make butter. I don’t remember the entire process, but it fascinated me. I especially liked eating the butter out of the bowl. My mom also made homemade ice cream that tasted better than anything you could find in a store. We made our own root beer that was delicious – I don’t think “store bought” root beer could compare to ours – and we’d have root beer floats with the homemade ice cream. Heavenly! My mom hung all of our washing out on the clothesline in the backyard which made the sheets smell so fresh and good. The towels were a little stiff, but that’s just the way it was. I participated in all of that to some extent, and I’m thankful I had the opportunity to witness those “old times.” My girls have never seen me make butter, root beer or hang clothes on a clothesline. That’s because I never have. Were they scarred by not having those experiences? They seem to be capable young women, but could they have been better if they had lived as I did? Maybe I should get a clothesline, and the next time they visit the compound, we can hang up the wash as a family and then maybe come in and make root beer if I can find out how to do it. But I don’t think that’s ever going to happen.

I don’t know what set me off on this track . . . I think it’s the picture of Alice that brought back old memories. Not a bad thing at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home