I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Sunday, March 09, 2008

Last Sunday my friend, Diane, and I went to lunch at Toast, a restaurant where we’ve been before which has the most delicious food ever. Since it was Sunday, there was a crowd, so we had to wait a while. We finally got two seats at the bar, directly in front of the two male chefs – cooks – what do you call them anyway? They looked like they were about 12 years old, but the owner told me they were in their twenties. No matter how old they were, they were fantastic. It was exciting just watching how quickly they moved and seemed to work in unison. So that was really good and everything was moving along smoothly, when all of a sudden, the music station with background music began playing Gladys Knight and the Pips singing “The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me.” As soon as the music began, tears started running down my face! I was horrified and embarrassed and afraid the cooks – chefs – whatever – would notice and have me removed from the premises. I managed to hold it together until the song was over, and I don’t think Diane even knew what was going on . . . or if she did, she probably just thought I was acting crazy again.

So I’ve been wondering why I’ve developed this emotional response to certain music over the years. Christmas music makes me cry, some classical music makes me cry and obviously Gladys Knight makes me cry. I could go on and on, but I thought I’d have a little experiment right here in my computer room where my carrots and tomato plants are growing – they’ll comfort me during my experiment. I planted carrots several weeks ago in a big pot and they’re about 6 inches tall now. I also ordered another tomato tree – Audrey IIII - and have several sprouts coming up already. But back to the music . . . . . I went to YouTube and found music videos of music that really gets to me. First I listened to Pavarotti singing the aria Nessun Dorma from the opera Turandot. Right away I started crying – not sobbing, just many tears. So after that I moved on to Robert Goulet singing “If Ever I Would Leave You” and the tears really flowed on that one. I ended with Gladys Knight and two of her songs that affect me the same way – “Neither One of Us” and “The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me.” When I was all done, I was a mess! But I still don’t know why I react that way. One of my friends asked me if I were thinking of a man when I listened to Gladys Knight’s songs. Would that be one man, some men, many men? Who’s to say? And The Pips? Does anyone else cry when they hear The Pips? Probably not.

I guess this will just remain a mystery to me as many things do already. But the PIPS??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home