I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

News out of Federal Way, Washington, last week was pretty disturbing and hard for me to believe. Apparently the school board has restricted showings of Al Gore’s movie on global warming, saying it must be balanced with an adequate opposing viewpoint. Opposing viewpoint? Is there one? Sunday night I watched a documentary on the Emperor and Adelie penguins of Antarctica and what is happening to the icebergs in that region due to global warming. Some of the penguin clans have already been destroyed due to the shifting formations of the ice. So what is an “adequate opposing viewpoint?”

The decision to curtail the showings of the movie was the result of complaints from a few parents who said their children actually believed what was said in the movie. One of the parents made this statement: “Condoms don’t belong in school, and neither does Al Gore. He’s not a schoolteacher.” What do condoms have to do with anything? The woman who made the statement is the parent of seven – would she even know a condom if she saw one? I don’t think so! She obviously could have benefited from some sex education when she went to school. So the school board is restricting showings of the movie until an opposing view is also presented. None of the board members or the complainants has seen the movie.

If I were living in Federal Way, I’d be ashamed at what is going on. If I were thinking of moving to Federal Way, I’d change my mind immediately after reading that article. There really should be a special school for children whose parents don’t want them being forced to hear about subversive subjects such as sex education, evolution, global warming, R-rated movies, civil rights and Sacha Baron Cohen . . . I could go on and on. But just wait a minute . . . there is such a place. It’s called HOME SCHOOLING! They should try it.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home