I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Harry has a birthday!

Today is my grandson’s 11th birthday. When he was quite young, Mark and Teri came with Harry for a visit and we ended up staying at Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood one memorable night – the home of the movie “The Shining.” Harry and I shared a room and Teri and Mark hoped to have a romantic night alone in the adjoining room.

Things went pretty well until Teri and Mark went out to dinner and I was left alone with Harry which is always a frightening thought. I told him many stories which made me very sleepy and ready for bed. So I told him he was very sleepy and ready for bed but then realized there was a big problem. Harry always went to bed with a sippy cup full of warm milk. Now we had no milk in the room and Harry and I were both in our “home clothes” which consisted of what we slept in – shorts and tee shirts. My tee shirt had “SPAM” in big letters across the front of it. I had just introduced Harry to spam that week and he loved it, much to the consternation of his parents.

The only place I could think of to get some milk was the upstairs bar on our floor. We certainly didn’t want to go downstairs in our “home clothes” to the big dining room, so I made Harry promise to stay behind me and sit in a booth while I went up to the bar. I sat down on the bar stool, wrapped my bare legs around it, put the sippy cup down and asked for some milk. The bartender was very accommodating and scurried off to get some. As he left I yelled, “It has to be warm milk” and he either waved at me or gave me the finger. I don’t suppose he was accustomed to serving grandmas in shorts and Spam tee shirts and little boys at his bar in the middle of the night.It was about that time that I noticed Harry had sneaked up to the bar and was siting beside me on a bar stool. What a pair we were . . . but a pair of what?
Pretty soon the bartender returned with the sippy cup of milk and Harry and I trudged back to our room. I don’t remember anything like that ever happening in “The Shining” but it would have added a little levity to that movie – it certainly could have used some.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HARRY!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home