I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Thursday, November 02, 2006

More about the mice . . .

An article in “The Oregonian” on 10/25 states facts about more experimentation being done on mice. This time it’s all about methamphetamine. The paper states: “Researchers at Oregon Health & Sciences University gave mice methamphetamine when they pressed a lever. Then they replaced the crystal the mice normally consumed with saline, turning the rodents into recovering addicts. The scientists then gave some mice a dose of 2-DG, a drug that lowers blood sugar levels, causing stress. The stressed mice tried desperately to dose themselves, hitting the dispensing lever five times more than mice who got more saline instead of 2-DG.” What they discovered from all that pain and suffering they caused the poor mice is that stress spurs people recovering from addictions to use drugs again. But doesn’t everyone with half a brain already know that? I can just see those tiny little mice, slapping that lever over and over again with their tiny little feet.

I decided to check in on Tiffany and Amber and see what they had to say about this:

Tiffany: I hear someone’s been feeding meth to mice.
Amber: No way!!
Tiffany: Yeah, they’re doing it here in town.
Amber: Do you suppose I could get some for my boyfriend?
Tiffany: You have a boyfriend?
Amber: Yeah, and he’s so cool!
Tiffany: How did you get a boyfriend?
Amber: Why shouldn’t I have a boyfriend?
.
I could see I was getting nowhere with Tiffany and Amber, so I let it go. But then I picked up today’s newspaper where there is an article about the benefits of red wine on mice. Something called resveratrol in red wine enables mice to eat high-calorie, high fat diets and live normal active lives(whatever that is for a mouse) even though they become obese. It even prolonged the lifespan of every organism that has been tested, and that includes the fruit fly. To that I say, “Thank God someone has found a way to let the fruit fly live longer!” The article makes it sound as if one could become obese and yet lead a good life as long as one drank a lot of red wine. The only downside to any of this is that it would take 100 bottles of red wine a day per person for it to have any effect and they state that that might not be safe for humans. No kidding!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home