I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Sunday, October 29, 2006

“Animal Planet”

Last night I watched “Why I Wore Lipstick to My Mastectomy” which was about a young woman who was diagnosed with breast cancer and how she and her family and friends reacted to it. I thought it was very well done and extremely interesting. It was a true story and written by the woman who had the cancer. She is alive and doing very well right now. The red lipstick gave her a sense of empowerment which is so needed at that time, and it stayed on throughout the entire 6-hour operation. She never said what brand it was . . . probably her own little secret.

This morning I thought I’d watch something a little lighter, so I turned on “Animal Planet” which was about a baby camel named PATSY! I definitely had to watch that, so I settled down. The little baby was so weak at birth that she had to be bottle fed by the people who owned the animal refuge park. They were wonderful with Patsy and all grew very fond of her as she did of them. But they couldn’t let it go on too long as they wanted to reunite her with her mother. So after a few months, they started little visits with the mother who sometimes chased and bit her! I was horrified and felt so sorry for Patsy. Finally, the mother bit her on the leg which required stitches. After she recovered, they tried again to get them together. This time it took and everything was fine.

But the good times were gone as the mother became ill. After blood tests, it was discovered that she had bone cancer and not much time left to live. I wanted to shout, “Give me a break! Will there never be a time when we can watch something that doesn’t have cancer in it? I know this is cancer awareness month, but will it never end?” Patsy’s mother died but the owners found two camels for their park and introduced them to Patsy. They all seemed to get along well, so things didn’t end up all bad.

To answer my own question, I don’t think it will ever end. But we all find ways to cope just as Patsy made friends to fill in for her mother. We all adjust.

Tonight I plan to watch “Desperate Housewives” which should give me a lift if anything will!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home