I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Friday, November 17, 2006

Did you ever play tag?

I used to play tag when I was young, but now it is being banned in some schools because administrators fear kids might get hurt and the parents would sue. Of course they would sue – everyone sues anyone these days at the drop of a hat! I don’t remember too much tag in grade school, but two incidents stand out in my memory of happenings during recess. One was when I was swinging along on the monkey bars and Kumeo was sitting on top of the bars. As I swung underneath him, he spit chocolate all over my face! As I stated in an earlier blog, I think he liked me. The other time was when I was playing in an area that had big trees on the playground. I noticed some writing on one of the tree trunks that said, “Fuck the Finns.” Now I am half Finnish and for some reason or other, that didn’t sound at all good to me. I had no idea what “fuck” meant, so I told my dad when I got home and he immediately raced to the school to do I don’t what – maybe cut the tree down! I was mortified that he would go to the school – all I wanted was to know what “fuck” meant, but he never told me. No one did. I eventually found out and put it in my vocabulary to be used for special occasions.

I thought I should check in with Tiffany and Amber to get their thoughts on tag:

Tiffany: Amber, did you ever play tag in grade school?
Amber: Yes, and I loved it when we played with Mr. Wellington.
Tiffany: Who was Mr. Wellington?
Amber: He was my teacher, and he always caught me and made me take off all my clothes!
Tiffany: YOU’RE KIDDING!!
Amber: No, he said he was checking me for ticks.
Tiffany: Did he ever find any?
Amber: He didn’t say.

Well, I don’t think Amber played tag the way it was intended to be played, but at least she played. Who knows how this will turn out. I hear some schools are not allowing it at recess but are doing it in P.E. That would be very good as it could slim down some of the really fat kids. I hope Mr. Wellington took early retirement and is not teaching P.E. someplace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home