I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Monday, February 27, 2012




Do we need to know everything?   What about the Oscars?

The other day in the "The Oregonian" newspaper, there was a headline that caught my eye. It read: "Police fear suicides at 9/ll site." There are two granite pools that designate the footprints of the absent World Trade Center towers. There are artificial waterfalls that extend three stories down which draw visitors to see them. The article goes on to say it wouldn't be easy to get to that place, but it tells how someone could do it. Was that necessary? So far, there have been no suicide attempts, but this article certainly doesn't help. The NYPD apparently has a plan for when and if someone attempts suicide there, but that wouldn't help after the fact.

There is so much printed and spread on the internet and television about how people make bombs. They tell just what they use and how easy it is to get it. I've read instructions for making meth which is done all the time by many. We know people make homemade bombs and meth, but why should we help them? I guess I wonder why we lay out the exact plans for doing something that won't turn out well for others.

And now on a lighter note,  I watched the Academy Awards last night and got a kick out of Billy Crystal. He's never mean or nasty - he's just plain funny. I watched the entire red carpet part and was disappointed in that. What were those two people 5 stories up doing? They spent most of their time encouraging people to send tweets  to them about what they liked, etc. That took quite a bit of time giving instructions on just how to do it each time they mentioned it which was often! As for the dresses, I thought Gwyneth Paltrow's was gorgeous - but then she always looks gorgeous. I loved Esperanza Spalding's rendition of "What a Wonderful World" which she sang during the "In Memoriam" segment - it was very lovely. 

I wish they would do more of the oscars at another ceremony. I don't care about some of those awards even though they are important to the winners, but I can't stand the lengthy speeches some of the recipients give. I feel like shouting, "Who cares?" And why was "The Artist" not honored in France instead of here? Are we going to start seeing more black and white silent movies in the coming year? Are we regressing? George Clooney was robbed! But then we all knew that already. And what about Cirque du Soleil . . .  did they get lost on their way to an out-of-town performance somewhere? I liked when Crystal thanked the president of the academy for working the audience into a frenzy with his speech! Of course he didn't - that's why I thought it was funny. All in all it was a long night but a pretty good one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home