I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Monday, June 21, 2010


A night out in New York City

I recently spent several days in New York visiting my daughter, Teri, and her family. They are now living in Brooklyn where they bought a co-op which is not unlike a condo except for the fact that they are now part owners of the building. I don’t own any of the buildings in my condo building . . . in fact, I don’t own all of mine yet. There’s obviously a difference there. I loved their new home and the way they had decorated it. While I was there, they took me to a big gathering in New York City – a dinner and fundraiser for the Ghetto Film School which gives scholarships to students going on to colleges. This was their 10th anniversary they were celebrating. The students learn all about film, directing, writing and everything connected to story telling. The entire evening was very interesting. I didn’t know until that evening that Teri was on the Board of Directors and had contacted Sherri Shepherd to be the master of ceremonies. Sherri was very funny and livened up the evening considerably! Lee Daniels, director of the film, “Precious,” was there and spoke as he is very involved with the Ghetto Film School.

I even dressed up for the occasion. The picture above is of Mark, Teri and me. I can't remember the name of the other woman, but she was very nice! I’m the one with the black strap hanging on my body. Actually, there was a pretty little purse at the bottom of the strap which you can’t see. It sort of looks like I was on a leash of some kind! Maybe I should have been as I’m not accustomed to going to such gatherings with celebrities, and Teri could have thought I might go ballistic at some point. But I held it together except when I remarked to Jack, who works with Teri, and I said something like “What am I doing here?” or “How did I get here?” I apparently scared him as he asked Mark if I were having a senior moment! But Mark reassured him that I’m always like that. My questions were actually rhetorical, but Jack was not aware of the way I think. But is anyone? I was just thinking that I usually would be at home at that time sitting in my “home clothes” watching “Glee” or “Law&Order” reruns. But I had a really good time and will probably never mingle with people like that again. I was so proud of Teri and the work she did for the event. But then, I’m always proud of her.

I’ll write about Harry’s 8th grade graduation in my next blog which I attended back there. There were two! I can’t remember my 8th grade graduation, probably because we didn’t have one at my country school. Many things were different when I was young including me, and I still am. I’ll also write about the Mother’s Day gift Cindy gave me which I love and is right up my alley. I wanted to mention that so Cindy wouldn’t call me or e-mail me saying, “I knew you liked Teri best!” My girls enjoy torturing me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home