I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Review of “Lie To Me” and notes on a couple of other Fox shows

“Lie To Me” starts its second season on Fox, June 7, 8pm – 9pm. This episode is called “Beat the Devil” and concerns a brilliant young scientist Dr. Cal Lightman (Tim Roth) thinks could be a serial killer. It also guest-stars Howard Hesseman as a teacher who thinks he’s seen a UFO. The team must figure out just what’s what with all this by studying body language and facial characteristics of these people which is what the Lightman team does. They accomplish that.

The second episode on June 14, 8pm – 9pm is called “Sweet Sixteen.” Dr. Lightman’s past is the subject of this episode as a fugitive IRA terrorist is looking for revenge and comes after Dr. Lightman. It’s complicated, but it’s all explained throughout the show which is very good. It also reveals, in flashbacks, how Lightman and Dr. Gillian Foster (Kelli Williams) met each other and are now working together. I’ve written about this show before, and still like it. Tim Roth jumps around and never seems to be still. He’s on the move all the time, giving directions to his staff as he passes by. I would like to see him take Dr. Foster out on a date for dinner and a glass of wine and just sit quietly and talk, and then . . . who knows what? His staff is very good so this should continue to be a very interesting program.

The other night I watched a show on Fox I’d never before seen and didn’t really get caught up in it. It was supposed to be 2 hours according to the paper, but after an hour, “The Good Guys” came on. I was thrilled! I have already seen that episode two times, but I watched it again. There are so many lines in that show that are really funny – laugh out loud (should that be LOL?) funny. Maybe I’m just a simple person, but I really don’t think that’s it. I just like what makes me laugh, and that does. There are other times to be serious and introspective. One scene cracked me up for the third time when Colin Hanks who plays the young cop and wants to get away from Bradley Whitford who plays the older, boozy, lazy cop and stop being assigned as his partner, asked the lieutenant if he could be a detective and move up. She just rolled her eyes, laughed and reeled off a list of reasons he couldn’t. One of the reasons was that he had once corrected the commander’s grammar to his face! That was a definite No-No and amused me immensely! I see on Google they are running it again on the 31st. Maybe I’ll watch! If enough people tune in, maybe it will make the cut and be on for a while.

Yesterday I was at my hair guy’s and read an article on GLEE in “Entertainment Weekly” where they quoted Tim Stack. He was talking about the plans for the next season and said they were going to limit the number of guest players and focus on core players! I felt like jumping out of my chair, but Steve had the scissors to my hair so I controlled myself. I was so happy to hear that as I know that everyone and his dog, and possibly cat, has been begging to go on GLEE. It’s such a tremendous success that why wouldn’t someone want to be on it? But I don’t like that – I like them working with the cast they have which is tremendous and, after all, they are what made it so popular in the first place. Now and then a guest star is not bad, but not too often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home