I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Thursday, December 10, 2009


What a difference a few years make!

The picture on top is the Christmas card sent to me by Steve, Rita, Reggie and Hayden. Rita is a friend of my daughter, Teri, and has been since high school. She is also my friend. They live here in town so I see them occasionally. The bottom picture was taken in August of 2002 when Teri’s son, Harry, was visiting and Reggie and Hayden were over making cookies. We had a fun time, and it looks like I’m hanging onto the bowl so they wouldn’t grab it away from me. I think Harry might have done that as he was already licking the spoon I used to sir them. But that really didn’t matter as we all ate right out of the bowl – there’s nothing like homemade chocolate chip cookie dough. There was enough dough left to make a couple of cookies, so that was ok. Reggie was clutching her doll and Hayden was waiting for his turn with the spoon in that picture.

Looking at the pictures, it’s startling to see the difference in the kids. The top picture is recent and Reggie is gorgeous! She’ll be 15 in just a couple of days, and then she’ll be able to start driving with a permit. Happy days for the family! Hayden is handsome, 18 and can already drive. When did all this happen? Where did the time go? I’ve had pictures of Harry on the blog before, and in some recent ones he looks about 20 years old but is actually 14. It was so much fun when they were little and did little things like making cookies. Or maybe it’s that I’m the kind of person with a little mind who likes little things and doesn’t want to think about really growing up. Whatever it is, I love looking back at the old times. The old times were fleeting, and I wonder if we actually appreciated them as much at the time as we do looking back.

I still make chocolate chip cookies and still fill up on the dough as I make them. The only difference between then and now is there is no one here to do it with me.

I’ll put their Christmas picture up on my fridge where all important things go like family pictures, doctor appointments, hair appointments, dirty jokes, etc. My fridge door is full. But isn’t that the way it should be?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home