I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Sunday, December 13, 2009

GLEE and NIP/TUCK

I watched the season finale of GLEE last week and was blown away by the singing. Rachel(Lea Michele) sang “Don’t Rain On My Parade” from “Funny Girl,” and the staging for her performance was perfect! Her voice is fantastic and her rendition of the song sent chills up and down my body. However, it has been awfully cold here lately so that might have had something to do with it. But I don’t think so. She was terrific. Mercedes(Amber Riley) also sang - she’s a real diva with an absolutely gorgeous voice. Another cast member Kurt(Chris Colfer) has a beautiful soprano voice and a definite taste for off-beat fashion. He’s very good. The entire cast is great – Jane Lynch plays the bitch so well, and she’s fun to watch as the leader of the Cheerios, a rally squad. She makes all kinds of trouble for the glee club, but never actually comes out on top. The glee club is made up of jocks, nerds, a gay kid and minorities. They’re not the kind of student you would expect in a school choir, but that’s what makes this show so special. Many of the situations that come up are implausible, but they’re not dwelt upon and everything moves along quickly. I think this is a blockbuster show and I can hardly wait for it to come back.

Right after GLEE I watched NIP/TUCK which is on FX – a Fox network. Both these shows are created by Ryan Murphy who is quite talented and inventive! NIP/TUCK is about two plastic surgeons who have a practice together. The show has graphic depictions of sex, violence and surgery. That just about says it all. The first time I saw it I had never seen anything like that on cable television – I had on HBO but you can see anything on HBO. I couldn’t decide if I would keep watching, but, of course, I did and I see it every week. I find it so funny that Ryan Murphy created GLEE – those two shows couldn’t be more different. I can see some of Murphy’s touch in GLEE which makes it understandable when things get a little edgy or quirky. NIP/TUCK is going off the air sometime in 2011 and Murphy will devote his time to GLEE and whatever else he comes up with. Maybe he’ll carry NIP/TUCK over to GLEE and we’ll see glee club members having sex while they sing! I hope he restrains himself and keeps GLEE as it should be. I will miss NIP/TUCK when it leaves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home