I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Monday, September 08, 2008


My Potato Harvest

Yesterday I needed to do something to take the bad taste out of my mouth as a result of the republican convention which was a travesty. I was on the phone with my daughter, Cindy, a lot of the time. We especially got a kick out of the group passing the Down syndrome baby back and forth amongst themselves – even Cindy McCain, the Pod person, had her turn with him. And when it spent time showing Sarah’s youngest girl, licking her hand and smoothing the baby’s hair to one side - that was beyond icky! Why was this baby even present unless it was to impress all the conservatives? I don’t want to ever be subjected to anything like that again. I guess I just don’t have to turn on TV. Or I could surf the channels in hopes I might find a “Seinfeld” episode. I could also watch Craig Ferguson on my DVR. Craig and Jerry can always make me laugh.

So, to clear my head, I decided to harvest my potatoes that I had planted in the spring. They were planted in a big, wooden pot on my deck. My only experience with planting potatoes had been with my dad which we did every spring. But I couldn’t remember – no surprise – when it was the time to dig them up. I had huge plants above ground, and one was turning yellow so I decided it was time. I pulled up each plant, and there were many potatoes hanging on to the roots! I was so excited! I think I probably should have left them in the ground maybe a month longer as they might have grown to be really big. But as you can see from the picture, there are many different sizes. I’m going to eat some tonight which will be a thrill.

I believe I’ve mentioned before that I took out my carrot and tomato plants I had growing in my computer room right next to me. Audrey IV never got to have any tomatoes on her as I took her down when she just had blossoms. I needed the space, and I doubt that there will be anymore Audreys or carrots in the computer room – probably no plants at all. It was a sad day, but I’ve gotten over it. But now with the potatoes, I’m already looking forward to next year when I’ll have two pots going on my deck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home