I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Monday, August 11, 2008


Bonding with Harry

My grandson, Harry, and his parents, Teri and Mark, are coming to visit this week from New York. I found this photo of Harry and Aunt Cindy taken when Harry was a new baby and very young and Aunt Cindy was very young. But now Harry is almost thirteen and Aunt Cindy is almost . . . I’m not quite sure. It’s a very sweet picture, and Harry adores his Aunt Cindy.

We thought this trip would be a good time for me to “bond” with Harry since I see him so seldom. I’m not quite sure what is expected of me except my recipe for baked spam which Harry loves and my chocolate cookies and whipped cream recipe which he also loves. Is there more to bonding than that? Teri said Harry is bringing his Stargate SG-1 DVD collection for me to watch with him. I am so looking forward to that! I’ll also have things for him to watch such as Craig Ferguson on his late-night show. I love Craig. He gets so silly and throws in many innuendoes during his opening monologues, but that’s why he makes me laugh. I put him on my DVR every night. I think Harry will like him – I will see to it that he likes him. That’s what grandmas are for – to get their grandchildren heading in the right direction, and I plan to give it my all.

Teri and Mark will be gone for a few days so Harry and I will be alone. They thought that would be a good opportunity for the bonding to really set in. During that time we’ll probably live on spam and possibly a trip to Subway. We’ll have a ball!

I went shopping today for “Harry” food. It was not as easy as I thought it would be. Who knew there were all kinds of different Frosted Flakes? Some have less sugar, fewer calories, and more vitamins and on and on. And peanut butter – some kinds have less fat, some are crunchy, some are smooth and some are really, really crunchy. It used to be you could go into a market and come out in 10 minutes with everything you wanted. Now it takes forever. I looked at the Klondike bars in frozen foods. I see ads on TV for them and find myself almost drooling. They look like a chocolate cookie and whipped cream dish I whip up only it’s already whipped up and just waiting for someone to find it! I opened the door and everything fogged up as I stood staring at them. I finally shut the door, but the fog on it kept me from seeing them as I pressed my nose against the glass. I didn’t get any as I already had the Oreo cookies for my recipe. I wish you could get just one Klondike bar instead of a whole package.

That was the end of my “Harry” shopping . . . for today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home