I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Comfort Food

I consider the entire Law&Order TV series as comfort food. That’s the kind of show you watch when you just feel like lying down and watching something familiar – like when you come home after a trip and you come into your warm, comfortable home. I’ve been a fan of their three series for years. In the afternoons and evenings, you know they’re there and that’s a very comforting thought. NBC shows them first, and then they go to TNT and USA as reruns. I don’t care where they are – I can always find them, and if I can’t, I panic just a little.

I started with just plain L&O when it began. Michael Moriarity was the executive DA and was very good. But he apparently was dismissed, or so he says, because of his threatened lawsuit against Janet Reno who was campaigning against violence in the media. Violence in the media? Where did she get that crazy idea? She said his show was a major offender. Sam Waterston has been the executive DA for years, but is leaving to fill Fred Thomson’s shoes as judge. Fred is going to try and make the country as ultra conservative as he. I don’t wish him any good luck at all, but I did like him in the show.
I hear Sam is the spokesman for “Unity 08” which they hope will be the third political party. What is going on with all these people? Why don’t they just stick to acting? Jerry Orbach was on for years and I loved him. He had been on Broadway and movies, but his best role was that of Lennie Briscoe, a detective on L&O. He died of prostate cancer in 2004.

L&O: Special Victims Unit – SVU is the unit in charge of sex crimes. Chris Meloni and Mariska Hargitay are two of the detectives. Meloni is very intense and personalizes all the sex crimes as possibly happening to his children. He gets too “over the top” many times. Mariska is always wondering who her father is as she was the child of rape and her mother didn’t like her. I watch the reruns usually and try to keep track of her hair styles. Sometimes it’s really short, and I think, “I want my hair just like hers.” Then the next day it’s really long and I think, “I really want my hair just like hers.” I gave up on that as it changed too much day to day on the reruns. And then she started carrying files around over her stomach all the time, so I knew we wouldn’t be seeing her for a while.

L&O: Criminal Intent is the unit in charge of the worst criminals and is the Major Case Squad. Vincent D’Onofrio and Kathryn Erbe are the two detectives handling the cases. Vincent is a very different kind of detective and his manner of interrogation is wild. He’s quirky and does very peculiar things such as bending way over sideways to look into someone’s face -- he’s all over the place! Kathryn Erbe gets him and just rolls her eyes and occasionally makes little sarcastic remarks. They make a good team. It took a while for me to get used to Vincent, but now I’m with him.

When I turn on an episode of any of the three, I hear Steven Zimkilton giving the narration before the show. His voice is so deep and sounds so ominous that you just know bad things are going to be happening. And when the music goes “Dah Duhm!” - - I’m then into my comfort zone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home