I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Sunday, June 10, 2007


Teri called me the other day and said she had reserved two nights for us at the Columbia Gorge Hotel in Hood River. Her son, Harry, will be at snowboarding camp at Mt. Hood, and Teri and I will pick him up on our way home. Well, I am so excited about staying at that hotel! It is so beautiful and the accommodations and food are the best. Their dining room is rated as Oregon’s best restaurant. I’ve been there but never over night. I looked up all the information and was blown away at everything that’s offered. First of all, there’s their five- course “World Famous Farm Breakfast.” Now I was raised on a farm in Hood River and had breakfast every morning, but I don’t think we had five courses. Rates also include complimentary coffee service, morning paper, champagne and caviar social and nightly turn down service featuring chocolates and a rose on your pillow! I’ve never had turn down service and never ever found chocolates or a rose on my pillow. But since I live alone, that could be the reason. I’m wondering about the champagne and caviar social . . . I’ve never tasted caviar because what it is repulses me. But can I still be social at the social? I think I can.

I do know I’m going to have to practice my table manners. I don’t suppose I can eat with a spoon -- everything with a spoon -- or lick my plate when I’m done. I can do that at home because no one sees me except maybe the people right across the street . . . I never really thought about that. I should probably close my blinds before licking my plate. And what should I wear for the evening dinner which will be fabulous, I’m sure. I tried on a few outfits tonight but I looked like someone else – I don’t know who, but it wasn’t good. Maybe I should cut my hair. If I keep this up, I’ll be a nervous wreck before we even arrive there. I’m sure Teri will help me and keep me out of trouble. She’s up on all the social amenities of gracious living – God knows she didn’t learn them from me!

Phelps Creek runs through the grounds of the hotel and then drops 208 feet to the Columbia River. That’s one place I won’t be spending much time! No high places for me. When I was young, I fished with my brother in Phelps Creek near where we lived out in the country. We had to go by my grandfather’s house, Aunt Selma’s house, Bill Shleif’s house and then down in a canyon where the creek was. I hope I caught something besides poison oak, which I did many times, after all that trekking through the orchards and woods. I don’t plan to fish at the hotel.

Teri and I will have a wonderful time, living like princesses for a couple of nights. And then it’s back to my old routine . . . eating with a spoon, licking my plate and tending my tomato plants that have grown up to my ceiling right beside me in my computer room. They are a sort of experiment that has fast become out of control! I can’t believe how exciting my life has become! Fortunately, Teri will be going home to a little more activity than I have here. This picture is of Teri in a blossoming fruit tree taken when we were visiting my folks in Hood River when she was a little girl. Maybe we’ll find another tree Teri can climb for another picture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home