I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Monday, February 28, 2011

83rd Academy Awards

I watched the whole thing from 2pm to 9pm and never fell asleep. But I did need something to clear my mind after that, so I watched “The Town” again. I had to see those ghost masks again and Jeremy Renner!

I was expecting great things from James Franco and Anne Hathaway, but I don’t think they came through very well. Anne was great – she can sing, dance and is very funny, but James let her down somewhat. He was not all that great speaking extemporaneously in front of all those stars. If he could have been having fun with his buddies, I think he would have been a lot looser in his talking. What I like about him is that he always looks like he’s thinking of something funny or maybe off-color, but doesn’t say it. I’ll be watching today as he has another bit part on “General Hospital.” I don’t think I’ll ever see his movie “127 Hours” as I’d probably file a finger off if I were doing my manicure while watching.

I always say “Why don’t they get rid of all that extra stuff they throw into the awards?” Stuff like clips of old Oscar movies, shots of movies that weren’t even nominated and singing . . . what movie was it that had the two people singing or making noises that made no sense at all! I couldn’t understand any of that. I’m glad Randy Newman won best song. He surely deserved it. And what was the point of dragging Eli Wallach out on stage. He barely shuffled out and then stood there with the two other old guys for a while. What the heck was that about? I felt so sorry for him. And why was Kirk Douglas there at all?

I like the red carpet each year. I thought Halle Berry looked gorgeous in her gown, but she’d look gorgeous in a potato sack. I loved Jennifer Lawrence’s red dress. She was so pretty with her long blond hair and the simple, form-fitting dress. She looked natural without a lot of jewelry and fancy hair. I didn’t like Melissa Leo’s dress that much with the big shoulders, but it didn’t keep her from winning an award nor did her taking out ads for herself in the running for best supporting actress. Neither did her dropping the F word in her acceptance speech. She overcame all those things to win! I first saw her in “Homicide: Life on the Streets” about Baltimore and a police squadron there. She played a cop and I’ve loved her work ever since. Natalie Portman looked wonderful – dress and hair. Hailee Steinfeld, 14 years old and up for best supporting actress, looked like a princess. She had on a very age-appropriate dress that she designed herself and it was absolutely beautiful!

I was pretty happy with all the winners. One person there who fascinates me is Jesse Eisenberg. He talked so fast in “Social Network” and actually does in real life I think. I wish I could have heard him give a speech but it was not to be.

I hope next year they take my suggestions and cut down on some of the fluff and just make it about who gets what. But they haven’t listened to me so far, so why should I expect anything else now?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home