I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Monday, January 17, 2011

Golden Globe Awards - 2011

I watched the whole thing last night and was not terribly impressed. It was good, but didn’t keep me on the edge of my seat. I liked a lot of the awards and some I didn’t really care. I will never understand “The Social Network” and all the hype over it. However, I didn’t see it, so who am I to say? It apparently didn’t portray Mark Zuckerberg the way he actually is, but that didn’t seem to matter. Enough people liked it so it must have had some redeeming qualities. Or maybe the foreign press doesn’t really understand us. They are foreign, you know.

I have never been a fan of Ricky Gervais. He’s a funny guy, but I’ve always found him to be a little full of himself. I thought he crossed the line when he introduced Tom Hanks and Tim Allen, Robert Downey, Jr. and Bruce Willis. And the statement he made at the very end when he closed with “Thank God for making me an atheist.” What was that about? It was totally unnecessary.

I loved seeing all the dresses. I probably could do without all the awards and just see the women walking back and forth . . . and the men too. They weren’t too bad! But the one dress I loved was Emma Stone’s. I’ve never seen her before, but that dress was so simple and beautiful. It was done by Calvin Klein and boy, did he do a good job! Whatever happened to Helena Bonham Carter? She looked like someone had thrown a bunch of wild material at her in the hopes that it would stick. And it did! She was an absolute mess. And two different colored shoes?? She says her daughter picked them for her. I doubt that my daughters would do that to me. And if they did, I’d ground them for years.

The seating arrangements seemed a little off. The tables were so close together that people had to try and find their way through a sort of maize. I think they put the people they thought would win right up front, but those that were surprises were in the back. I’ve never seen it so mixed up.

I liked seeing Annette Bening win an award. I saw that movie and thought she was very good. Julianne Moore was up for that award too as they played a married couple. Julianne was also very good. But whenever I see Julianne now I remember how she was when she played Alec Baldwin’s girlfriend in “30 Rock.” She had a Boston accent, or rather she tried to use a Boston accent, and I thought it came across very badly. I can’t seem to get that out of my mind – I hope I can before I ever see her again as it really spoils her performance for me as that’s all I think about when I see her. Possibly there’s something wrong with me!

All in all, I think it was a pretty good evening. I watched “Brothers and Sisters” after the Globes. What a weird, silly little show! I can’t believe that family and all that goes on. I won’t be watching again!

I forgot to mention the one award that I was excited about. That was GLEE for best television series - comedy or musical. I love that show; it has made me cry nearly every time I've watched it. Maybe that doesn't sound good, but I can't help myself when I hear some of the songs and the way they present them. I'm not alone in feeling that way I've found out. I was also very pleased with Jane Lynch and Chris Colfer winning. They highly deserved the honors. I expect we'll hear more from them next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home