I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Tuesday, December 25, 2007


Christmas at the compound . . .

This year I’m alone at the compound. My sorority sisters, Teri and Cindy (daughters) aren’t here so we can’t talk about the coming events Cindy, our president, has been planning. I think she’s been all caught up with other events such as what the other president in that White House has been doing . . . nothing good, of course. So it got me to thinking about my parents and how I wish they could be here with me.

I had such a happy childhood with them. I can never chime in when people talk of their bad memories of no electricity, not enough clothes or food, abuse, etc. I never realized how fortunate I was until I was an adult and found out I must have been one of the lucky ones. We never had much money, but we didn’t go without the essentials. My dad was a farmer and raised apples and pears and also a few animals. So we had plenty to eat and my mom made most of my clothes. And we had electricity and a bathroom. What more can anyone want? I remember one Christmas I knew we couldn’t afford much, but when my folks took me to the J.C. Penney store in Hood River and I saw the big, white teddy bear I started crying because I wanted him so much. And sure enough, he was under our Christmas tree on Christmas day. I hope I never did that again as it’s not fair and too hard on the parents. But it sure worked.

We always had a big celebration at my grandfather’s house with Santa Claus on Christmas Eve. One year I was sick in bed and couldn’t go. But Santa found his way to my house and up the stairs and into my room with presents. I think I am extremely lucky to have memories like that – I don’t imagine many people do. My brother and I were very fortunate to have had our parents. I really miss them.

When I had my daughters, my parents started coming to our house in Portland for Christmas. That was always a special time for the whole family. My folks had to put up with all the pets we had at that time. Sometimes we had turtles, duck and a goose, gerbils and even a rat once. In the above picture my folks are sitting on the sofa amidst Christmas presents and dogs. Sammy, our German shepherd, and Brownie, our Dachshund, are lying under their feet. My parents look so happy as do Sammy and Brownie. Those Christmases were good ones.

But all the Christmases have been good. A couple days from now I’ll be flying to see Teri and her family. And right after New Years, Cindy will be coming to see me after her kids go back to college. So today is filled with lots of memories for me, and they’re all good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home