I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Morning paper – 11/13/07

Upon opening my morning paper, “The Oregonian,” the first article I noticed concerned Timberline Lodge which sits at the base of Mt. Hood. We have taken it for granted ever since the government hired men to build it as a public works project during the Depression. Back then they didn’t know just how popular it would become all over the country and even the world. Millions of people have visited and continue to do so. But now Timberline is in need of finances to keep it in shape. The government is not doing its share in the upkeep which is their responsibility. Recreation money for Oregon and Washington national forests has dropped 25 percent since 2003, and the Bush administration proposed another cut of about 10 percent next year . . . that’s no big surprise. All of our national forests are going through hard times, and services will be cut at many of our campgrounds in the future. It would be a shame if Timberline Lodge should cease to be the beautiful destination for travelers and locals it has been for many years. We’re going to have to come up with something to keep it going as it should.

On the next page was an article about a Saudi Arabian prince who bought a more than $300 million super-size luxury airplane. He’s a billionaire obviously, and the plane is being outfitted for his private comfort. The Airbus A380 is the world’s biggest passenger plane. It’s a double-decker jet with wings as long as a football field. Of course Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, the owner, will pay extra for options such as private bedrooms, movie theater or maybe a gym with whirlpool tub. He’ll also need a flight crew and possibly flight attendants. This is apparently the only customer for the aircraft according to the spokesman for Airbus. Now why do you suppose that is? I just read in the latest “Time” magazine that the prince was the biggest shareholder of Citigroup which is now in a crisis state financially. Too bad for the prince! It’s strange to be writing about the need for finances to keep up Timberline Lodge and the prince spending $300 million on a plane – it’s like going from one extreme to another.

And then I read Steve Duin’s column about the Interstate Avenue mess. I agree with him and thought his column was great. I don’t know why this whole business has upset me so much, but it has. I think it’s the way our mayor bulldozed his plan through to change Interstate Avenue to Cesar E. Chavez Avenue without any consideration for anyone else. And what really angered me was for him to say that those who were against the change were racist. That’s not what this is about. I lived in North Portland when I was first married, and later worked near Interstate Avenue and knew many of the places along it. I used to go with friends for drinks at the Alibi, the only Tiki lounge in Portland. I was familiar with all the streets and many establishments in that part of town, and Interstate Avenue was the mainstay of the area. Why the big push to change it so fast? I think our mayor is stubborn and extremely arrogant, and when he couldn’t have his way without any opposition, he rammed the idea through anyway. Apparently there are only two council members who stood up to him, but that wasn’t enough. When I saw him walk out of the city council meeting when he didn’t get his way, all I could think was what a fool he was making of himself. I have no respect for him anymore at all. I wonder if he ever thought of renaming a street like Scholls Ferry Road or Taylors Ferry Road. Do you suppose the southwest area is off limits? Or how about naming a park or library after Chavez? Why Interstate Avenue and why the rush?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home