I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Hide your dogs!

Should we be keeping a watchful eye over our dogs these days? Kasie Hunt of the Associated Press writes that faux fur has been showing up on clothes from Tommy Hilfiger’s Web site, Nordstrom’s web site and one from Andrew Marc’s MARC New York line sold on his web site. The faux fur turned out to be from domesticated dogs! There were more with fur from raccoon dogs which is a species native to Asia. Most of this fur came from China. This whole idea of dog fur is very repugnant to me. I wonder if other dogs would recognize the smell of one of their relatives when someone walked by wearing the faux fur which was really dog fur. That could be very uncomfortable for all concerned.

The Humane Society began an investigation after a tip from a woman who bought a coat labeled as faux fur, but she thought it felt real. So when the Humane Society began testing, they found 24 out of 25 coats tested were mislabeled or misadvertised. After this came out, Tommy Hilfiger stopped selling the fur trimmed garment, Nordstrom called customers who purchased the fur-trimmed garments and told them they could send them back. But the chief executive of Andrew Marc didn’t agree with the Humane Society and said fur on his coats labeled as raccoon contains “only farm-bred raccoon fur from Finland.”

That statement shocked me. Finland is my other homeland. Well, sort of . . . I am half Finnish and my dad was all Finnish. He was born here but his parents came from Finland. So doesn’t that make me something? I think very highly of Finland and to think they are breeding darling little raccoons for people to wear on their shoulders is very disturbing. How could they do something like that and where do they find the time what with their production of vodka – and time spent drinking it – and the manufacture of cell phones – and time spent talking back and forth on them to make sure Nokia is perfect? And after doing all that, they spend many hours in their saunas, sweating away and seemingly enjoying it, and then jumping up and leaping into a cold river or snowbank. I think they have enough on their plate and should give up the fur business. That’s not good news coming out of my half homeland.

And about the saunas . . . my grandfather had one on his farm and my dad and all his brothers would gather one night a week and sweat in it! I thought the entire idea was quite strange and still do – I don’t like to sweat. They had a ladies night, but I never attended. Maybe I wasn’t lady enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home