I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Friday, February 09, 2007

I just read about the man in Reedsport, OR, William Roderick, who thought a snorkeler was a nutria swimming in the Smith River and shot him in the head! How could anyone mistake nutria for a snorkeler or any person? They don’t look the least bit like anyone I know. I have seen many nutria on the shores of the Willamette River and swimming near the shore. I have never been tempted to shoot one – I don’t have a gun which takes care of that. And I have never thought, “Gee whiz, that looks just like a snorkeler/nutria. Maybe I should find someone who does own a gun.” I know the nutria is not wanted here, but I’ve never heard of this happening.

The victim, John Chessman, was shot with a .22 caliber rifle – right smack in the head. When the shooter realized the nutria was actually a person, he helped Chessman out of the water. He is now at OHSU in stable condition. Roderick is now in prison for second degree assault and also felon in possession of a weapon, possession of methamphetamine and marijuana. It’s no wonder he couldn’t tell a nutria from a man! Snorkelers should take note of this just in case the shooter is released and still has possession of his rifle. He may go nutria hunting again. Maybe there should be signs along all the river banks advising snorkelers to wear Day-Glo outfits that would look nothing like nutria.The snorkelers should form a study group and then have a fund raiser to help defray the cost of their new Day-Glo uniforms. I’m not a snorkeler, but I think it’s a good idea. But don’t ask me for money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home