I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Friday, July 08, 2011

Happy Times at the Goodwill Store!!


The other day, I met my friend Judy at the new Goodwill store. We always go there to celebrate our birthdays and then out to lunch nearby. This store is bigger than the old one and I was quite impressed with it. I bought a couple of things that had a purple tag on them which gave me 50% off! I was thrilled. I also bought a bowl to replace the one I broke when I took it out of the oven and immediately ran water in it! It shattered in my hands, but fortunately I wasn't cut by flying glass. I just had to have the Maytag repair man out to get a big piece of glass out of my disposal. Maybe I should quit cooking and doing all those things I've done for so long when I had a family. My family is gone so why am I fooling around with pots and pans and all those family things when I could be doing other things that bring me joy and happiness . . . my mind seems to have gone blank . . . there must be something . . .


When I got home I found my remote and decided to check what I had saved on my DVR. As everyone knows, my remote is very dear to me. So I tried it but nothing happened. My TV worked, but the DVR wouldn't respond. I almost called 911, but wisely decided against it. In my desperation, I wondered if new batteries would help. So I went to my stash of batteries. I have many of them, probably from the days when I had a wind-up toy store downtown. I know - I know, wind-ups don't take batteries, but I had some special big metal toys that required them. So I just have a lot here with me. This reminded me of a "Seinfeld" episode where Jerry caught his Uncle Leo shoplifting in a book store. He turned him in and the store decided to prosecute and make an example of him. Uncle Leo said it was the right of all senior citizens to shoplift. So Jerry called his parents in Florida who said it was the right of all senior citizens to shoplift - especially batteries. I loved that episode of "Seinfeld" - but then I love them all.


So I took out the batteries from my remote. They had an expiration date of 3/11 which didn't make sense to me.They should have lasted longer. I put in some new ones, right out of the package, which were dated 3/10. Those worked! How weird!

Anyway, my remote was back in business and I was beginning to calm down.


So it was quite a day. I almost forgot - the first thing I did before Goodwill was visit my cardiologist's office for a pacemaker checkup. She puts a gadget on my chest and runs a sheet of what's happening, and that's it - about 5 minutes. I asked her how I was and she said great. If I weren't great, I'd be dead!! So I was out of there and on my way to Goodwill. It turned out to be a very good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home