I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Monday, May 19, 2008


As I mentioned in my previous posting, Cindy and I visited Teri and her family in Manhattan last week. They live on the 39th floor of a big building directly across the street from the New York Stock Exchange. It was almost overwhelming to arrive at her place which was surrounded by huge buildings like the Exchange and other Wall Street establishments. I think I expected to see her bigger, as if to fit into her surroundings. But she was still the slim, little girl I’ve always loved . . . not that I wouldn’t have still loved her if she were now bigger. It was so much fun to be with both of my daughters at the same time which rarely happens, and Teri and Mark were very good to us.

There is a huge deck on the 7th floor of the building, and we could sit out there and look at the Exchange and all the other official buildings in that area. I had no idea what they all were. One afternoon Cindy and I went down to the deck and she went to the edge and waved at all the people in the building directly across from her. She said one man waved back while she was frantically gesticulating. She said she wished she knew sign language so she could have told him to come over and sweep her off her feet like they do in the movies. Where is Marlee Matlin when you need her?

We went to the theater twice which was a real treat. We saw “Sunday in the Park with George” which had beautiful music and singing. We also saw “The New Century” by Paul Rudnick which was hilarious but also touching in parts. After that one, we had dinner reservations at 10:30pm so we had to get moving. Mark spotted a cab down the street and ran to it and jumped in the front seat. Teri, Cindy and I hurried along behind, but I stubbed my toe on something and started falling to the left. I moved as if in slow motion, with my arms flailing all over the place as I was trying to regain my balance. But I just kept going down, down, down . . . and then splat! I hit the sidewalk on my left side. I was on the ground for only a second because some big man was behind me, and he scooped me right up and set me down on my feet. I didn’t even get a chance to thank him as he disappeared so fast. All I know is he was big and dressed in black. I wondered who that masked man was, and why he didn’t stay and get to know me. I actually don’t think he was wearing a mask, but it’s possible since I never saw his face. The world needs more men like that -- men who will lift us up and set us back on our feet. That sounds like a good campaign slogan, doesn’t it?

I had told Teri before I went that I didn’t want to do subways anymore. But taking cabs was hard sometimes and cost money, so one night when we were going to Lincoln Center for the theater, I gave in and agreed to the subway. I hate going underground that far and then climbing back up again, but it’s sure faster and cheaper than any other mode of transportation. Mark kept telling me I had to get off the subway fast and not linger at all. I’ve watched enough Seinfeld to know what to do and what not to do on subways. I’ve learned many things from the Seinfeld show. I don’t think Mark watches Seinfeld like I do – in fact, I don’t think anyone does. I’ve learned it’s not a good idea to take off all your clothes as you sit there, and there is never really enough time to try and get off and get a snack before the train takes off again.

My driver back to JFK when I came home was originally from Pakistan. He was very friendly and interesting and talked about his family back home and here in America. He told me that his people – Muslims - revere and love their mothers. The two most important things for them are Muhammad and their mothers. The mother part sounded great to me, but I wasn’t sure about Muhammad as I know nothing about him. We arrived at the airport and he kept on talking about how beautiful the farms were in Pakistan and how life is not as frantic as it is here. He was going back soon to visit his family. By the time I finally got out of the car, I was almost ready to buy a ticket to Pakistan and see all those calm, happy people on the farms. But I thought better of it and just came home.

The picture, starting from the left, is of me, Donna (a friend of Teri’s), Donna’s two daughters – Lily and Phoebe – Harry, Teri and Cindy. Teri, Cindy and I are wearing the official necklace of the I Eta Pi (Betty Broderick) sorority which a street vendor just happened to be selling. He must have known we’d be in town. Meredith Baxter never showed up. Donna is not yet a member as she still has to go through initiation . . . whatever that may be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home