I'm A Patsy - Gotta Problem With That?

Thursday, August 24, 2006

The “Today” show on NBC, August 24, 2006

As I was getting ready for my morning shower and standing naked in front of my bedroom tv, I caught part of a segment on organic food for infants. There was a discussion on whether organic food was better than the old kind in the little tiny jars I used for my girls. It went on to show a woman who would go into your home and puree, beat, whip, cream and stir all sorts of organic food into mush for your baby. Apparently it’s being done in Manhattan and Los Angeles right now. That’s no big surprise. She mentioned one mixture of raisins, asparagus and couscous that she prepared. That almost made me physically ill. I hate raisins – I was forced to eat them in rice pudding when I was in grade school. I had to sit there until I had eaten it all up. I don’t remember much more about grade school except for the time Kumeo spit chocolate on my face as I was swinging along the monkey bars and he was sitting on top. I think he liked me. Of course, I told on him, and I think he was punished by having to sit in the lunchroom and eat rice pudding with raisins. Anyway . . . I had to run to my computer and check the internet to find out how to spell couscous where I found pictures of three different kinds: Israeli couscous, Sardinian couscous and Mediterranean couscous. They all looked bad, and that recipe is disgusting. Just imagine mixing raisins, stringy asparagus and couscous together and serving it to infants.

When my girls were little, I fed them out of tiny jars. They loved squash and ate a lot of that. They wouldn’t eat asparagus or beans which was fine with me. They may have eaten peas but the squash was the best – also carrots. Applesauce was a favorite. It was so easy to open a jar and have everything all mashed up and ready to go. I had no idea what organic was at that time, and would not have changed anything if I had.

When Cindy outgrew the baby food, she started sitting at the table with us in her high chair. Of course, half of the food would go on the floor so we used what we called “the slop blanket.” It was a cotton blanket we would spread under the high chair where a lot of the food would be dropped and immediately eaten by whatever dog we had at the time. It was Teri’s job to fix the slop blanket, so I would call out, “Teri, get the slop blanket.” Then we would all sit down for a pleasant family meal.

I don’t know how the “Today” segment ended on the organic baby food except that one expert said it was no better than the old kind. I could have told them that. I finally got into the shower and started my day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home